Friday, April 04, 2014

Review: Ravenswood (2013-2014)

I just watched the final episode of "Ravenswood", a supernatural teen drama series by ABC Family. It's a spin-off of the popular teen soap "Pretty Little Liars" and follows the character of Caleb Rivers, played by hunky Tyler Blackburn, as he discovers a deadly curse that has plagued the town of Ravenswood for generations.

Let me get one thing straight: I'm a big fan of teen drama series, and "Pretty Little Liars" is one of the best ones in years. I also love a good mystery. But the supernatural theme of "Ravenswood" put me off a bit, probably because it's so far from the "Pretty Little Liars" universe.

Also, the acting isn't that good. I can live with subpar acting as long as I like a series in general, but there is something quite cheesy about "Ravenswood". Not even the cute guys can save it. Sure, it's entertaining at times, but it seems they're trying to hard to compete with "The Vampire Diaries" and "The Originals" instead of doing their own thing.

I don't regret watching "Ravenswood", but to be honest, I won't miss it that much. And I'm definitely not surprised it got cancelled. There are some good news though: The character of Caleb will return to "Pretty Little Liars". I just wonder how they will explain his short experience with the supernatural. Was it just a dream?

Photo: ABC